Saturday, February 7, 2009

Is it possible to beat these chemicals?

I am talking about Dopamine, Endorphin and Serotonin. I was reading about stuff and stumbled upon these chemical inside each one of us. I posted on twitter and had got a nice response from Sukumar on the blog he had done on the same topic only his intent was different. Sukumar takes a nice look at how this phenomenon or attribute of a human system can be leveraged for some thing good.

Keeping up with the theme of this blog I was motivated to look at if at is it possible to beat these chemicals. As you read through Sukumar's blog and the references he quotes it becomes pretty evident that the above two chemicals are tightly integrated into the human brain's way of working.

My thought on this was that I am subject to behave the way these chemicals make me react. Kind of makes me feel like a puppet. A chemical get secreted and I start behaving in a specific manner. I don't like the feeling of being a puppet.

As I like to keep my posts short. We can do some things to get of this cycle. This is no small task. People, spiritual leaders, sages spend years breaking out of this cycle. I could co-relate ( could be a figment of my imagination ) this breaking away from this cycle to Moksha. I get excited by connecting stuff. Here I am linking human physiology to spirituality.

There are a lot of methods in the yogic way of living to handle the above cycle. Obviously that is a huge area to be explained and of course I am not an authority on yogic way of life.

But one this that can be done is for us to observe the above cycle happening within us. Basic philosophy in yoga is first to observe the mind so that we can know to handle it. Meditation is a way of helping our mind relax, so that it can observe the cycle happening consciously. Once we have the results of our observation we will know how to act next and stop being puppets. This is a first step towards breaking the cycle.

3 comments:

sukumar said...

Interesting post. We are not as powerless as these chemicals seem to make us. We have the frontal cortex which is our rational self that overrides chemical impulses. Yes, meditation and other spiritual ways can enhance our frontal cortex. You may also want to read my post "train your mind change your brain"

Kumaran said...

Thanks for the comments. Will go through your othe blog also.

Kumaran said...

x